I was just thinking
Notes and a Summary of the AACC 92nd Annual Conference Opening Session covering the 21st Century Report
(MY THOUGHTS ARE IN ALL CAPS)
Key Quotes From Opening Session
We forget there is progress as we deal with the issues of the day
Community colleges are the Ellis Island of American Higher Education
Community Colleges are the closest thing to a dedicated workforce development system
Many are suffering from initiative fatigue, but are still positive and focused on serving students
Say NO to things that don't meet our recommendations
People always tell us education is important but actions of legislative actions don't match the rhetoric.
Significance of 21st Century Commission Report
For only the 3rd time in our history have Community Colleges taken a hard look at what we are doing
1) 1947 Truman Commission
2) 1988 Community Initiatives Report
3) Reclaiming the American Dream
Where can I get this report?
Summary is a available on the App and full document is on the AACC website
GREAT OPENING SESSION A REPORT LIKE THIS IS A GREAT REMINDER WE NEED TO STAY THE COURSE. I TWEETED THE FOLLOWING EARLIER TODAY:
“Sometimes we forget finishing well is important. The passing of time can dull the urgency of conviction in our lives.” Melody Green
I AM SO HAPPY TO HEAR A SPECIFIC MENTION ABOUT PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT.
Summary of Key Points of the Report
Redesign Students’ Educational Experiences Recommendations:
1. Increase completion rates of students earning community college credentials (certificates and associate degrees) by 50% by 2020, while preserving access, enhancing quality, and eradicating attainment gaps associated with income, race, ethnicity, and gender.
2. Dramatically improve college readiness: By2020, reduce by half the number of students
entering college unprepared for rigorous college-level work, and double the number of students who complete developmental education programs and progress to successful completion of related freshman-level courses.
3. Close the American skills gaps by sharply focusing career and technical education on
preparing students with the knowledge and skills required for existing and future jobs in
regional and global economies.
Reinvent Institutional Roles
4. Refocus the community college mission and redefine institutional roles to meet 21stcentury
education and employment needs.
5. Invest in support structures to serve multiple community colleges through collaboration among institutions and with partners in philanthropy, government, and the private sector.
Reset the System
6. Target public and private investments strategically to create new incentives for institutions of education and their students and to support community college efforts to reclaim the American Dream.
7. Implement policies and practices that promote rigor, transparency, and accountability for
results in community colleges.
MAYBE THE PASSION OF THE PEOPLE INVOLVED IN THE PROFESSION IS WHAT I HAVE ALWAYS LIKED ABOUT THE COMMUNITY COLLEGE COMMUNITY
Redesign, Reinvent, Reset